When it gets cold outside, it’s so easy to hide underneath layers of clothing. It gets darker earlier and your motivation seems to be lacking. In New York, there’s a new restaurant opening every day and tons of choices at your finger tips. It can all be overwhelming and hard to say no to temptation.
I’m in the process of getting back in shape for a beach vacation the first week of November. Getting into shape is always a daunting task for someone who loves food. I must preface that I don’t claim to be overweight. My goal here is not to lose weight but before a beach vacation, I want to feel good about myself. I don’t eliminate food groups but I try to eat everything in moderation and use portion control. When I do slip up like I did at Smorgasburg (hello chicken and waffles!), I accept that I’m human, move on and get back on track. It’s always a balance between what I want to eat versus what’s good for my body. For the next couple of weeks, I’m going to make a bigger effort in eating healthier which has always been a challenge of mine. These are some things I do in the never-ending mission to stay healthy and fit.
- I always eat something healthy for breakfast. My favorites are oatmeal, protein shake, and greek yogurt with berries. On weekends, I’ll splurge and have pancakes.
- I try to have dark leafy greens in one of my meals. My favorites are kale, swiss chard, and spinach.
- I never drink soda. I gave up soda 5 years ago and never went back. I only drink coffee and water. I would rather chew my calories than drink them. Although, I do love my vegetable juices!
- When I eat at home, I use a small plate (8 inches) and I don’t go for seconds.
- When I go out to eat, I don’t clean my plate. I either share what I’ve ordered or take the leftovers home.
- If I know I’m going to splurge, I eat healthy the rest of the day.
- I give into my cravings but I don’t go overboard.
- I love motivating exercise classes like Soul Cycle. It feeds my body and soul and I feel like I’m in da club.
- I try to get between 7 – 8 hours of sleep every night.
- I have positive people in my life. People who love and support me and push me hard to be the best I can be.