If you’ve ever been over to my place for dinner, chances are you’ve had my turkey chili. It’s my absolute favorite thing to make and to eat and it’s always a crowd pleaser. I love this one pot wonder because it’s great for the chilly Winter months as well as a casual Summer gathering. Turkey chili is not only a healthy and hearty meal, it’s also very versatile. You can have a make-your-own chili bowl party, top it on nachos for game nights, chili dogs for the Summer, dunk some cornbread in it or eat it with tortilla chips. It’s my favorite thing to eat when I want something warm during the cold winter months and a meal that has a substantial amount of protein. My secret ingredient is to add one chipotle in adobe sauce for extra spiciness and smoky flavor. YUM YUM.
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (I like seeing color so I use half of yellow, orange and red bell peppers)
- 1 lb ground turkey. I like Kosher Valley
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. I like Muir Glen’s Organic
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced (I like it really spicy)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablepoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablepoons of olive oil
Toppings & Accompaniments (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Over medium-high heat saute the diced onion and bell peppers in olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Saute for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to soften and brown. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute (don’t let it burn!).
- Add the ground turkey and cook until there’s no pink left.
- Add the beans, the diced tomatoes, the seasonings, and chipotle pepper. Stir until fully combined. Bring the chili to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes (longer for better flavor). Stir occasionally.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with cheddar cheese or your favorite toppings.