When I made the mini mac n cheeses (here) I thought, what else can I make mini? I don’t even remember how the idea of cinnamon rolls came about. Maybe it was buried in my subconscious after seeing them on TV or at a bakery. None-the-less, I found myself making them on Sunday morning for breakfast. You’re going to laugh at me because these are so easy to make and only require a few ingredients. I topped each roll with a mascarpone icing that I found from Giada DeLaurentiis. I just thought the mascarpone added a fancier touch. When you pop 2 or 3 or 4 in your mouth it doesn’t count right because they’re so small?
- 1 tube of Pillsbury crescent roll
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Brown sugar
For the mascarpone icing:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay out half the dough and pinch all the seams together. Flip over and pinch the seams on the back side together too. Using a rolling pin, smooth the seams and roll the dough into a square about 1/4″ thick.
2. Brush with half the butter
3. Sprinkle with as much cinnamon as you want.
4. Sprinkle with as much brown sugar as you want.
5. Roll into a log and cut into 8 pieces.
6. Place mini cinnamon rolls into a non-stick sprayed mini muffin tin. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the other half of the crescent roll dough. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes. Meanwhile whisk together mascarpone cheese and buttermilk in a bowl. Add in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
7. Just out of the oven.