It’s Valentine’s Day this Friday and what better way to treat your loved one than with heart shaped hand pies? I actually think Valentine’s Day is a lame holiday that doesn’t mean anything but expensive flowers and overpriced prixe fixed menus but I do love all the reds, pinks and heart shaped things that are involved with Valentine’s Day. I actually made these heart shaped hand pies for my sister last weekend because she’s always been my special Valentine. These little pies are so easy to make you’re going to make fun of me. Make them for your Valentine this week. XOXO
You will need:
- Ready to bake pie dough (like Pillsbury)
- 1 cup mixed fresh or frozen berries (strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Over medium-high heat, heat the fruit, cornstarch/flour, and maple syrup until the berry mixture comes to a boil. Let the mixture cool. In the meantime, cut out 16 hearts (or 32 if you use both pie crusts) over a floured surface.
4. Seal the edges with a fork and cut a cross in the center of the hearts using a knife so that the pie has a vent. Brush the egg wash on top of the pie. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.